Thursday, August 31, 2006

TWO GOOD AUNTS

We meet so many people in our lives, but when you sit with some people they make you feel so enriched because of their goodness.

So besides being "good" what is it specifically that a "good" person must have to be called good? A small story to illustrate it would make it easier to udnerstand. Not religious people, but just ordinary people.

My aunt-in-law (my husband's maasi) who died a few years ago and my aunt were "good" people according to me. My aunt-in-law was a picture of goodness. Although quite poor, she always welcomed anybody to her house with a hug and something or the other to eat. She also never spoke ill of anybody and always ended every meeting with, "Bhagawan will do good by you." She made you weep just being with her, and she had no idea of her depth, she was a simple soul. God bless her.

My own aunt, my maasi, on the other hand, was bright, tempestuous, great fun, always full of mirth or anger but was so extremely large-hearted that anything she said was accepted. She held no grudges, was always game for a new movie, a new song and a new prank to be played.
She could break into a grin easily and her spirit of abundance was bottomless. When she drove her car, she was a dare-devil and yet, she was the one easily suckered into charity.

I guess they were both generous in their spirit. Two ways of living and yet, at the bottom, really quite similar despite their differences. A karmayogi and a jnani, one on either side of me, did I have any choice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home